The SVAS organised Scale Model Exhibition took place in the engineering hangar at Shuttleworth on Sunday 18th February and was enjoyed by hundreds of additional visitors.
Event organiser and SVAS Chairman Kevin Panter said “Everybody that I have spoken to has enjoyed the day and although it is hard work putting on, it is worth it to see the enjoyment that people get from the day.”
The competition at the event was especially difficult to judge, but fortunately, Collection pilots Peter Holloway and Rob Millinship and engineer Rory Cook, were able to come to agreements for each of the categories. Judge Peter Holloway said “The standard of models around the show this year is particularly high and the junior modellers in particular are very good. In a few years time the junior modellers today could be in with a shout of winning the other competition categories!”
The winners of the Competitions were:
- Category 1 – 1/72nd Scale or smaller – Chris Jones, FW189A2
- Category 2 – 1/48th Scale or smaller (exc. Cat 1) – Chris Jones, F105D Thunderchief
- Category 3 – Larger than 1/48th Scale – Terry Hatch, Churchill Tank
- Junior Modeller – Winner – Alexandra Read-Simpson (age 12), Stuka
- Junior Modeller – Highly Commended – Tom Shaw (age 8), Vulcan Take-off
- Best In Show – Richard Watts, scratch built 1/16 Clerget Rotary engine
All photographs provided by courtesy of Peter Baughan.